O.K. I know we’re not officially in winter yet. That’s still another 2 weeks away, but it sure feels and looks like winter; and unless you’re one of those weird freaks who loves snow and subzero temperatures, it looks like we’re going to be stuck in the winter doldrums for some time to come.
And the same goes for the box office as well. As I mentioned last week, with the exception of a few bright spots here and there, box office totals always go down significantly after Thanksgiving and pick up again during the Xmas/New Years holiday period. Therefore it’s no surprise that overall box office figures this weekend were down substantially, and most titles maintained their positions.
Disney’s “Moana” was again No. 1 with a slight drop of 33 % from last weekend, with $18.8 million; so far, it’s earned $145 million domestically and $238 million worldwide to date. Paramount’s comedy “Office Christmas Party” came a close second with $!7.5 million, which is not bad for a holiday comedy with a non A list cast.
In third place once again is “Fantastic Beasts” with $10.7 million, and just a shade under $200 million total here in the States, and $680 million worldwide. Meanwhile “Arrival” still proves to have legs, coming in fourth again with $5.6 million; and it looks like it’s going to top out at just over $90 million domestically.
As for new films in limited release, the musical “La La Land” opened to huge numbers grossing $171,000 per screen, playing on only five screens, for a total of $855,000, making it far and away one of the biggest, if the not the biggest per screen opening for any film this year – even beating out “Moonlight’s” opening numbers.
Meanwhile, “Loving” has so far grossed $6.5 million playing on just 570 screens.
And speaking of “Moonlight,” it has now hit $10.8 million and looks headed for a domestic gross of $15-16 million, which, when all is said and done, is not a bad figure for an arthouse film with a limited appeal.
This weekend’s top 12 grosses follow below:
1) Moana BV $18,842,000 Total: $145,008,593
2) Office Christmas Party Par. $17,500,000
3) Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them WB $10,785,000 Total: $199,310,903
4) Arrival Par. $5,600,000 Total: $81,451,708
5) Doctor Strange BV $4,631,000 Total: $222,362,446
6) Allied Par. $4,000,000 Total: $35,633,452
7) Nocturnal Animals Focus $3,193,685 Total: $6,219,813
8) Manchester by the Sea RAtt. $3,155,330 Total: $8,325,531
9) Trolls Fox $3,110,000 Total: $145,490,004
10) Hacksaw Ridge LGF $2,300,000 Total: $60,862,448
11) Miss Sloane EC $1,900,000 Total: $2,038,365
12) Almost Christmas Uni. $1,401,730 Total: $40,238,215