OWN has announced the casting of five new series regulars for its upcoming relationship comedy-drama, Love Is ____, which is from husband & wife duo Mara Brock Akil and Salim Akil.
The show is from Akil Productions and Warner Horizon Scripted Television. It is described as "a humorous drama about a modern-day power couple balancing successful careers and a beautiful family, drawing inspiration from the real-life relationship between executive producers Mara Brock Akil & Salim Akil. In the world of Black Hollywood, they navigate a complex set of social codes, and this series will explore it all, from the good to the bad...to the ’90s, because that’s where this definitive love story all began."
Last month, Michele Weaver and Will Catlett were announced as the two leads, Nuri and Yasir.
Now, five more roles have been announced.
- Idara Victor (Alita: Battle Angel) has been cast in the series regular role of Angela. A member of the same writing staff as Nuri (series star Michele Weaver), Angela doesn’t always agree with everything Nuri says, mainly because she is a disgruntled drama writer stuck in a comedy she doesn’t believe in. She’s often misunderstood as mad. Professionally, Angela plays it cool. But in private conversation with Nuri, Angela is considerably more warm and relaxed, and she is the good friend that Nuri needs.
- Tyrone Brown (Bull) has been cast in the series regular role of Sean. Sean possesses great taste and has a lot of opinions, but he lacks follow-through. He was the first one to spot Nuri as a catch and uses his best friend, Yasir (series star Will Catlett), as a wingman to meet her — but to no avail. A year later, when he and Yasir cross paths with Nuri again, Sean is in a relationship and has a child with Camille, giving Yasir the opportunity to pursue Nuri.
- Kadeem Hardison (K.C. Undercover, A Different World) has been cast in the series regular role of Norman. The executive producer of Marvin, Norman is a tough boss who is hard to impress and even harder to amuse. As the play-cousin to the star of the show, he’s under a lot of pressure, and he takes his frustrations out on his room of writers, pressing them all to dig a lot deeper into themselves before they’re all fired and replaced.
- Yootha Wong-Loi-Sing (Nickelodeon’s Hunter Street, Dutch films The Price of Sugar, The Paradise Suite) has been cast in the series regular role of Ruby. Ruby is Yasir’s on-and-off girlfriend; they came to L.A. to chase their dreams, but hers are idling and Yasir’s never got any traction. Worn out, she’s acerbic and moody and fed up that Yasir still does not have a job. She winds up gently set aside when Yasir pairs off (for life) with Nuri.
- Lana Young (Greenleaf) has been cast in the series regular role of Nuri in the year 2027. Nuri is first seen in 2027, in her 50s, relaxed, happy, and comfortable in her life and her 32-year marriage to Yasir.
The hour-long drama was ordered for a 10-episode first season. Mara Brock Akil, who is the showrunner, wrote the pilot. Salim Akil is an executive producer alongside her.