Phylicia Rashad has now joined Twitter and Instagram! The actress, who has been seen as America's mom thanks to The Cosby Show, will now be part of social media, which means she will need people to follow. We've made a list of some of the folks who should be at the top of her list.
1. Debbie Allen: Rashad following her sister, actress/director/producer Debbie Allen, should be a given, especially since she admitted that Allen was the one who compelled her to take the plunge into social media.
Hi Twitter ❤️ It’s Phylicia! pic.twitter.com/kQkboe5Mmv
— Phylicia Rashad (@PhyliciaRashad) September 22, 2020
Since many actors have been conducting Instagram and Twitter Live videos, especially during the coronavirus pandemic, it would be awesome if Rashad's first virtual live event was a one-on-one with Allen, in which they tell their audience about the lessons they've learned while being in the entertainment business.
2. Keshia Knight Pulliam: Rashad would probably want to follow Keshia Knight Pulliam, who played little Rudy Huxtable on The Cosby Show. Pulliam has had a long career in Hollywood, helped in part by her role on the show and Rashad's own pioneering career.
3. Malcolm-Jamal Warner: Another of Rashad's Cosby Show on-screen children is Malcolm-Jamal Warner, who played Theo Huxtable. Like Pulliam, Warner has also been influenced greatly by his time under Rashad's wing and is currently starring on The Resident. Who wouldn't love to have Warner talk about his experiences in Hollywood with Rashad on a Twitter or Instagram Live video?
4. Zoe Kravitz: Lisa Bonet might not be on Twitter or Instagram, but her daughter, actress Zoe Kravitz, might be interested in following Rashad. Since Kravitz' mother spent a lot of time early in her career with Rashad, Kravitz and Rashad could have a lot to talk about regarding Hollywood and the struggles Black actresses face.
5. Raven-Symoné: Raven-Symoné was a child when she started acting opposite Rashad on The Cosby Show, and, like a lot of the child stars from the show, has sustained a long career. It'd be great to see what Raven-Symoné and Rashad would say to each other via Instagram or Twitter regarding the hard work of keeping longevity in the business.
6. Issa Rae: Seeing how Issa Rae is always "rooting for everybody Black," it makes sense that Rashad would want to follow someone who is changing the game in Hollywood and giving honor to those who have paved a path for her. And, maybe if the two follow each other, that could lead to Rashad getting a guest role on Insecure!
7. Tyler Perry: Rashad starred in Perry's first Netflix film, A Fall From Grace, earning a new batch of fans in the process. Both she and Perry could use their online platforms to keep giving back to those fans, as well as cement new acting ventures in the process.
8. Cicely Tyson: Tyson also starred with Rashad in A Fall From Grace, but that's not the only reason why Rashad should follow Tyson. Tyson is a legend, having created spaces for Black actors during a time when Black actors were still being pigeonholed. Again, if we're going with the idea that Rashad would host live videos, it would be amazing to have both her and Tyson do a live video, giving fans insight into how far Black actors have come in Hollywood, as well as far they have to go.
9. Akili McDowell: Rashad stars opposite Akili McDowell in David Makes Man. As such, McDowell is yet another young actor who can point to their experience with Rashad as part of their acting growth. Since the series has been promised a second season, it would be fun to see Rashad and McDowell post updates whenever filming restarts.
10. Oprah Winfrey: There are so many pathways between Rashad and Winfrey. First, there's the fact that David Makes Man airs on OWN. Second, Winfrey and Tyler Perry are good friends, making Rashad only a degree of separation away from Winfrey. Cicely Tyson is also good friends with Winfrey and has worked with Rashad on A Fall From Grace. Since Rashad is in the thick of Winfrey's multiple friendships, following Winfrey would, in a way, finally close the circle.
Who do you think Rashad should follow?