Report: Jussie Smollett No Longer In Running For Lead Role In Broadway Revival Of This Tony Award-Winning Play
Photo Credit: S & A
Broadway , News

Report: Jussie Smollett No Longer In Running For Lead Role In Broadway Revival Of This Tony Award-Winning Play

Jussie Smollett is reportedly no longer a part of the 2020 Broadway revival of Richard Greenberg's play Take Me Out.

Originally reported by The Daily Mail, multiple sources told the tabloid that Smollett was set to star in Greenberg's 2003 Tony-winning play, which focuses on a biracial baseball star who reveals he's gay.

Supposedly, according to one of their sources, the play's producers were set "last month" to announce Smollett and Zachary Quinto were starring.

Deadline says that Smollett did read for the role in January, but no casting decisions have been made. They state that Smollett's participation in the role "never proceeded to anything firm before the January 29 incident in Chicago," during which Smollett alleged he was a victim of a hate crime. Since then, Smollett has been accused by the city of Chicago of perpetuating a hoax. The city has since sued him for $130,106 for investigation costs.

Smollett has maintained his innocence throughout the months-long investigation, which culminated in Smollett being charged with 16 felony counts that were abruptly dropped.

 

READ MORE:

All 16 Criminal Charges Against Jussie Smollett Dropped, Record Wiped Clean

This Petty Bill Proposed By A State Representative Would Harm Projects That Include Jussie Smollett

Lee Daniels Breaks Silence On 'Pain And Anger' Of Jussie Smollett Fallout

A Lyon Down? Reports Say It's A Possibility That Jussie Smollett’s ‘Empire’ Character Could Be Killed Off Or Recast

Fox Reiterates That Jussie Smollett Isn't Being Written Out Of 'Empire' Amid Reports That His Role Is Being Scaled Back

'Empire' Star Jussie Smollett Reportedly Hospitalized After Racist And Homophobic Attack By White MAGA Supporters

 

Photo by Santiago Felipe/Getty Images