TV One is celebrating mothers all month long with “Love My Momma Month of May,” a specially-themed programming slate devoted to “Represent Real Moms.”
Every Sunday in May, the network will honor mothers everywhere with humorous, inspirational and thought-provoking stories ranging from classic series featuring favorite “TV Mom Moments,” such as “Everybody Hates Chris” and “The Parkers” to faith-based original films “For the Love of Ruth” (Sunday, May 8, 5 & 11 p.m. ET) and the premiere of its latest original movie, “Chasing Waterfalls” (Premiere: Sunday, May 8, 7 & 9 p.m. ET).
“Mothers defy expectations every day,” said Brad Siegel, TV One’s President. “As a small token of our appreciation and gratitude, we are highlighting our favorite motherhood moments through our on-air programming and promotion, as well as our social and digital media conversation. Our goal is to encourage, inspire and celebrate Moms all month long.”
TV One is also airing “Love My Momma” and “Represent Real Moms” interstitials and spots throughout May, featuring notable network talent – Laura Govan (“The Next: 15”), Countess Vaughn (“Hollywood Divas”), Lisa Wu (“Hollywood Divas”), Golden Brooks (“Hollywood Divas”), Paula Jai Parker (“Hollywood Divas”) and Malika Haqq (“Hollywood Divas”) – sharing their Mother’s Day well wishes and providing advice, inspiration and teachable moments. Extended versions will also run across TV One’s companion website (www.tvone.tv) and social media platforms.
As a companion to its on-air efforts, TV One is also dedicating its social and digital platforms to Moms throughout the month with a #RepresentRealMoms campaign, which includes a weekly social media photo contest, a #GrowingUpWithABlackMom conversation, and a “Celebrate The Best Black Moms on Television” online package.
Each week in May, fans are encouraged to post a photo with their Mom and tag TV One’s Twitter or Instagram (@tvonetv) using #RepresentRealMoms and share why she means so much to them and should be the “Represent Real Mom of the Week.” Hollywood Divas’ Lisa Wu (@1lisawu) is serving as the network’s celebrity judge and will select one winner, who will receive a $100 gift card each week.
Also playing on the #GrowingUpBlack Twitter hashtag, TV One is introducing #GrowingUpWithABlackMom to celebrate the long legacy of funny Black Mom Moments, which will appear online with editorial, videos, and memes.
TV One’s “Celebrate The Best Black Moms on Television” online package will explore TV’s best black moms. From “A Different World” to “Living Single” to “The Cosby Show” and more, TVOne.TV is revisiting the iconic “TV Mom Moments” that remind folks of their very own mothers, which includes a “Best Black TV Mom” Bracket Challenge. In addition, full episodes of “Lisa Raye: The Real McCoy,” a docu-series following the life of actress and single mom, LisaRaye McCoy, will also be available online.
An overview of TV One’s “Love My Momma Month of May” special programming follows below:
- Sunday, May 8: Mother’s Day Movie Marathon, 11 a.m. – 1 a.m. ET; This Mother’s Day, May 8, TV One’s four-movie marathon illuminates the strength, faith and loyalty of mothers throughout the centuries. Headlining the night is TV One’s latest original movie, Chasing Waterfalls, premiering at 7 p.m. ET.
- 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. ET: “God’s Compass”; A heartwarming drama about a retired high school principal who learns some unexpected lessons about blessings and the meaning of family starring Karen Abercombie, T.C. Stallings, Jazelle Foster and Joey Ibanez.
- 1-3 p.m. ET: “Hear No Evil”; A TV One original film and spiritual thriller by Russ Parr examining the complicated repercussions of a miracle occurring in a typical family and featuring Jill Marie Jones, Jahnee Wallace, Richard T Jones, Jackie Long, and Gregory Alan Williams.
- 3-5 p.m. ET: “White Water”; A charming, humorous story of a young boy and his single mother in segregated 1963 Alabama. Sharon Leal, Larenz Tate, Amir O’Neil and Amari O’Neil star.
- 5-7 p.m. ET: “For The Love of Ruth”; The highly acclaimed retelling of love, selflessness and loyalty embodied by the Biblical matriarch stars Denise Boutee, Loretta Devine, Gary Dourdan and James Pickens Jr. An encore also airs at 11 p.m. ET.
- 7-9 p.m. ET: “Chasing Waterfalls” Premiere; On the heels of the success of “To Hell and Back” and “For the Love of Ruth,” TV One tells another powerful biblical story. Inspired by the story of David, “Chasing Waterfalls” navigates the treacherous, cutthroat waters of the fashion industry (a-la Devil Wears Prada) while gently teaching us about obedience, faithfulness and God’s grace. It follows the rise and fall of Olivia, a God-fearing woman, who hides behind her faith and is ultimately, brought down by her greed and quest for power. The film stars Jasmine Guy, Drew Sidora Tim Reid, Redaric Williams, Joyful Drake, Kisa Williams, and Kelly Price. An encore airs immediately following the premiere at 9 p.m. ET.
- Sunday, May 15: “Everybody Hates Chris” & “The Parkers,” 12 p.m. – 4 p.m. ET; “Everybody Hates Chris” and “The Parkers” will feature two favorite TV moms with four back-to-back episodes each. In “Everybody Hates Chris,” executive producer Chris Rock narrates a fictionalized version of his upbringing, with hilarious situations such as when the young Chris buys knock-off perfume as a Mother’s Day gift for the intimidating Rochelle. In “The Parkers,” the mother-daughter dynamic is explored to comedic effect when The Parkers take in friends who were evicted during their Mother’s Day party.
- Sunday, May 22: “My Momma Throws Down,” 12 p.m. – 4 p.m. ET; Enjoy Sunday dinners at Mom’s house virtually with “My Momma Throws Down,” featuring four back-to-back episodes of the hilarious reality cooking competition. The series lets two mothers earn bragging rights against each other in a display of delicious family cooking and smack talk, judged in part by blindfolded members of their own families.
For more information about TV One’s upcoming programming, including “Love My Momma Month of May,” visit the network’s companion website at www.tvone.tv.
TV One viewers can also join the conversation by connecting via social media on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook (@tvonetv) using the hash tag #Represent and catch clips and promos on TV One’s YouTube Channel.